1. Guest - Remember that Thread Prefixes are a search tool! Click on a Thread Prefix and all threads with the same Prefix in that forum will be offered to you. To dismiss click on X >>>
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Our gif only content threads have a rule where all thumbs must be posted as a static thumbnail that does not play. Currently imagebam made a change where they no longer produce static thumbs. Therefore, please do not use imagebam, or any host, that provides live playing gifs in those specific threads. If you see your gif playing once you post, try to use a smaller thumbnail and if that does not work use a different approved host.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. PHUN.ORG WILL BE TRANSFERRING TO A NEW HOSTER DURING THE NEXT 7 DAYS, AND SOME DISTURBANCE MAY BE EXPERIENCED. WE'LL KEEP YOU INFORMED AS DETAILS EMERGE.
  4. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an inescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

Whatever happened last night?

Discussion in 'About phun.org' started by S-type, Apr 8, 2008.

1. S-type

S-type Know when to laugh. Staff Member ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member

Been sluggish, with blank screens on a couple of occasions this evening. Between 5.30pm-6.00pm (BST), and in the last half hour too.

2. TheRiver

TheRiver temporarily a little out of order. ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member Original Phun Crew Movers & Shakers

no big deal, because there are different, more important reasons for me to be "absent", but...

still the same - not an issue of ammount of people online, time of day etc. - just random hangovers all over the day. and not only today.

3. S-type

Terribly sluggish tonight, but it's been ponderous for days! What's going on now?

4. TheRiver

TheRiver temporarily a little out of order. ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member Original Phun Crew Movers & Shakers

no idea. but consider me interested as well.
    curious how people manage to make some 20-30 posts a day...

5. S-type

It's like watching paint dry, tonight!

6. TheRiver

[​IMG]

(warten auf <german> = waiting for)

additional server, var. software-updates... just half a month later same (or worse?) as before.
    well... hopefully at least the techguys.

and as long all guests provide klicks everything is fine, right? :(

7. cayne

cayne Guest

:(

I don't know why it's hanging once again..

8. S-type

The Forum's been sluggish for days now - is anyone any wiser? Is anyone doing anything?

9. TheRiver

seems like we two are the only ones suffering...?!? (i doubt, actually).

i k now. it´s free and fun, but it sucks.

10. Taipan

Taipan Reach Out And Touch Faith Staff Member ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member Original Phun Crew Phun Award Holder

Same problems here,Cayne knows about....

11. S-type

Right now it's verging on the unusable! Changing from one forum to another takes about 20-30 seconds! One needs the patience of a saint!

hudey likes this.
  12. TheRiver

fine. more interesting - does he know more/why/how to solve that?

13. cayne

cayne Guest

The answer is pretty simple, but not really cool:

(read from bottom to top)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. TheRiver

hans likes this.
  15. S-type

The road traffic analogy falls down because in that case the extra "traffic" is clearly visible - massive increase of extra users/vehicles! But the numbers using the Forum don't appear to have changed that dramatically, have they? So what are members and guests doing now that we/they didn't do before, or what are we/they doing more of, that's swallowing up the extra processor capacity?

16. Jetstream

Jetstream Goodnight Julia

I once waited two hours to post a reply... cry me a river. :eek:

I remember this topic reoccuring off and on for years now, even before I joined. Not sure of my point, but I'm also not sure of this thread's point... most know that during peak hours, the forum crawls. I should think of a point.
    No whimpers, spilt milk?

17. gaphugs

gaphugs BANNED

For what it is worth I too have experienced the site to be very slow at most times of the day. Not just at what would be described as peak times.

18. S-type

I got back home tonight at about 10.15pm BST, and logged on to Phun, only to be immediately excluded from everything! All I kept getting was :-

[​IMG]

I gave it up as a bad job for about three-quarters of an hour at which stage I managed to get in, but have found things persistently sluggish! Hopefully someone has a grip on what's happening?

19. phoolish

phoolish

I turned off the display of Signatures, and now pages load *much* faster.
    There are a couple of users who have multimegabyte animated GIFs in their Signatures - one is 2MB, and the other is 4MB, and I was having trouble scrolling past their posts in threads....

20. cayne

cayne Guest

That should def. help, until we get an additional server.