1. Guest - Remember that Thread Prefixes are a search tool! Click on a Thread Prefix and all threads with the same Prefix in that forum will be offered to you. To dismiss this notice click on X >>>
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Our gif only content threads have a rule where all thumbs must be posted as a static thumbnail that does not play. Currently imagebam made a change where they no longer produce static thumbs. Therefore, please do not use imagebam, or any host, that provides live playing gifs in those specific threads. If you see your gif playing once you post, try to use a smaller thumbnail and if that does not work use a different approved host.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an inescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

The NEW 2001pm - Phun Random Chat Thread!

Discussion in 'Hall of Fame' started by 2001pm, Jun 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlin

Merlin Feelin' Frankensteinish... Staff Member SENIOR MODERATOR ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 15 Year Member Phun Award Holder Lounge Lizard

Funny that you mentioned the World Series....

Heard a blurp on one of the sports talk shows the FOX execs are debating on whether or not to back out of their current contract and televise the WS on FoxSports1, which practically no one gets....

1 person likes this.
  2. Throbbn

Throbbn I'm only here for Phun! ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member Movers & Shakers

holy shit! I hope that doesn't happen. :( maybe next contract when they can use the World Series as leverage to get FS1 onto more cable systems ..

football is king ...

baseball does great regionally (i.e. in local markets its a good TV product). national stuff like the World Series just does hold national interest anymore ...

and kids love basketball so they look to be in good shape ...

3. Thore

Thore Thunder Dude ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ 15 Year Member Phun's Chester Cheetah

I have no interest in the World Series.....it it was the only thing on the tube, I would turn it off....

4. Merlin

Merlin Feelin' Frankensteinish... Staff Member SENIOR MODERATOR ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 15 Year Member Phun Award Holder Lounge Lizard

Like you said, it's a regional thing. Here you have the Carolina Panthers, all the ACC college teams, and that depends on what season, much more popular during basketball season. The Hurricanes are semi regional. Hockey isn't a sport natural for here. You have the fans of the the teams they play, like myself, and you have the Homers, who will root for the local teams regardless.

1 person likes this.
  5. 2001pm

2001pm 2+2 is on my mind...

It's amazing how things have changed over the past 50 years in sports. Wow. I'm not watching 'cause I don't have a horse in the race - not even another team that I sort of like.

1 person likes this.
  6. Merlin

You've hit the nail on the head. Not only do you not have a horse in the race, you could care less about show or place. Really, is baseball on TV that exciting when it isn't your team playing?

7. Thore

OR, is it the saturation (relatively speaking from 50 years ago) of all sports on all levels available on almost 100 times more TV channels? Just a thought....

8. 2001pm

It's that too - big time.

9. Thore

There is a multitude of reasons why I have lost interested in professional sports over the past 30 years....I much prefer college sports.

10. 2001pm

But I watch the Tigers whenever I can locally. And the Red Wings. Hmmm.

11. Throbbn

sadly sports has become inventory :(

fantasy leagues have changed the dynamic too. football is very well suited to fantasy football. :)

12. Throbbn

college sports are professional sports ... look what they charge for broadcast rights. they even schedule for TV.

1 person likes this.
  13. Merlin

You may be right....

Never before have you ever been able to order, group, or stream a package of sports to suit your needs. You can even find some of the leeser sports online. Online is the key.

14. Merlin

Sadly though, they don't give any revenue to the athletes. I'm a proponent of fair compensation in this instance.

15. 2001pm

And sports gambling is a big part of it too.

1 person likes this.
  16. Thore

We will agree to disagree....

17. Thore

Good night gentlemen...:bye:

18. 2001pm

Have a great night Thore! Enjoy your walk. :wavey:

19. Throbbn

its a tough one. sounds fair, but what about non revenue generating sports? pay them too? football and basketball revenues help fund a lot of other sports.

one time a reporter asked Jim Calhoun if he thought he should be the highest paid state employee and he pointed out that the basketball program took in some ungodly sum. since he is feisty he might have muttered "fucker" under his breath! :)

1 person likes this.
  20. Merlin

Apparently we touched a nerve....

Take care Thore. :wavey:

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.