1. Guest - Remember that Thread Prefixes are a search tool! Click on a Thread Prefix and all threads with the same Prefix in that forum will be offered to you. To dismiss click on X >>>
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Our gif only content threads have a rule where all thumbs must be posted as a static thumbnail that does not play. Currently imagebam made a change where they no longer produce static thumbs. Therefore, please do not use imagebam, or any host, that provides live playing gifs in those specific threads. If you see your gif playing once you post, try to use a smaller thumbnail and if that does not work use a different approved host.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. PHUN.ORG WILL BE TRANSFERRING TO A NEW HOSTER DURING THE NEXT 7 DAYS, AND SOME DISTURBANCE MAY BE EXPERIENCED. WE'LL KEEP YOU INFORMED AS DETAILS EMERGE.
  4. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an inescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

Sig of the Week SOTW ???

Discussion in 'Creative Backyard' started by Noodle Panda, Feb 23, 2009.

1. irish-sid

irish-sid BANNED

before i started making sigs, there was no creative back yard.
    there is now and the backyard needs something like this. and people are interested. but i don't know how much pull you have with the other members here. if they won't enter the battle thread because of you saying not to, then it will be a sad day for phun.
    i wish people had their own voice and weren't too scard to say that this is a good idea. yeah a couple of you have strong feelings about this, and you have made that clear. but the rest of you seem to be sitting on the fence.

even if you are not a sig maker, would you not like to see a sig thread that has a theme and to see what people come up with?

2. .biomoid.

.biomoid.

Times change... I saw a lot of positive reactions to the competition too, so I think the time is right for it now.

And you don't have to be a top sigmaker to enter, I welcome entries from everyone. Even new sigmakers should enter, to win or just to see how many votes they'd get.

3. toolz

toolz Hater ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Its not about me sid!!:mad: JESUS FUCKING CHRIST!!! Nobodys doing anything or making a decision because of me! WTF?:mad:

Let me explain it again so you will understand....

WE not ME agreed on this a very long time ago.....NOT TO HAVE CONTESTS.

Do you get it now?

4. toolz

toolz Hater ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

If guys want to do a SOTW thread, fine do it.

Just dont do any sig battles.

5. irish-sid

irish-sid BANNED

lol,
    it is called sig of the week, but it will be a competition.
    also i don't understand where all this flaming is coming from.

6. toolz

toolz Hater ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Who says I am flaming?

7. gaphugs

gaphugs BANNED

To be clear - is the sig of the week thread where sigs are voted on a competition? And what is the difference between a "battle" and the sig competition thread? I'd like to have an opinion but wish it to be informed.

8. .biomoid.

.biomoid.

I would like all this argueing to stop... I made the thread, you're against it or you're for it. If you're against it then just don't enter.

We'll see how many people will enter. If it's 10, Great! If it's more, even better! If it's a lot less then that's proof that such a competition is not wanted here and there won't be a SotW #2.

Just give us a chance.

9. .biomoid.

.biomoid.

You can read it in the thread I started, but the idea is this: people enter their sigs, I'll list them and everyone can vote for their favorite. I'll announce a winner when voting period ends.

10. gaphugs

gaphugs BANNED

Is that a sig battle? I am just trying to understand what a "battle" is.

11. irish-sid

irish-sid BANNED

gap, it is a battle thread. people enter their sig, a winner is determined.
    and we want opinions, so give us yours.

12. gaphugs

gaphugs BANNED

Ok, I understand.

Well I can see that sig making is about creativity and having spent a lot of time in the sigs threads I can see that there is very little nagativity and a sense of mutual gratitude. I am sure that helps the creative process, there are no rows and everyone has fun.

So If i where to be honest I would suggest that anything that causes division should be avoided.

That sais bio has made it clear - if the SOTW is successfull it will live on and prosper. If it isn't he said it won't. I says suck it and see, the mood of phun as a whole on the issue will be determined by the success of that thread.

SOTW week #2 = it is a good idea.

No SOTW #2 = bad.

The reality is however it will not succeed IMO.

13. bamafan

bamafan Staring at (.)Y(.) ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Personally I could give a shit if you have a sig of the week thread or not - but just to let you guys know the past: There were 3 people involved in the first time this idea was brought up that ended up in heated debates about how the voting would go. Because people have different styles of creating sigs and more importantly people have different styles of art (ie blondes over brunettes) they enjoy viewing it would in the end possibly cause hard feelings from someone that was just starting out or using a different style. In turn causing a potential "great" sig maker to maybe stop doing their style because they didn't think anyone appreciated their work. Or one step furter, someone liking a certain style that kept getting voted down may decide to not start trying their own taste. An important thing to keep in mind is that yes we all should act like adults here - sometimes that just isn't the case. ;)

14. irish-sid

irish-sid BANNED

that is fair enough gap.
    the is mutual gratitude in the othe sig threads, which is great and i love it, but to have a theme that people create a sig for is a great concept. it will show everyone their inner thoughts and how they perceive things. it is healthy competition, and will also give people ideas on how to take on the next weeks challenge. it can only encourage creativity.

15. gaphugs

gaphugs BANNED

We'll see

16. toolz

toolz Hater ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Competion is not healthy with sigmaking. I have seen it in numerous other forums. Trust me sid! Shit!

17. toolz

toolz Hater ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

There is pleanty of creativity in both sig threads already.

18. irish-sid

irish-sid BANNED

of course it is down to personal taste, that is why we have certain people or characters in our sigs. but this is just to show how people percieve and capture a certain theme. it could be a blonde theme one week, and it could be sesame street the next. someone with amazing PS skills could do a great sig, but someone with less skills could capture the theme perfectly and win.
    everyone has different styles and that is why competition is good. if everyone had the same style then there would be no creativity.

19. irish-sid

irish-sid BANNED

toolz, just don't click the thread, you don't like it, that is fine. if it fails in the first week there won't be another one. let's see how it goes without any futher bashing. :thumbs:

20. irish-sid

irish-sid BANNED

it is very popular on forums i visit. it has it's own subsection, and it thrives.