1. Guest - Remember that Thread Prefixes are a search tool! Click on a Thread Prefix and all threads with the same Prefix in that forum will be offered to you. To dismiss click on X >>>
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Our gif only content threads have a rule where all thumbs must be posted as a static thumbnail that does not play. Currently imagebam made a change where they no longer produce static thumbs. Therefore, please do not use imagebam, or any host, that provides live playing gifs in those specific threads. If you see your gif playing once you post, try to use a smaller thumbnail and if that does not work use a different approved host.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. PHUN.ORG WILL BE TRANSFERRING TO A NEW HOSTER DURING THE NEXT 7 DAYS, AND SOME DISTURBANCE MAY BE EXPERIENCED. WE'LL KEEP YOU INFORMED AS DETAILS EMERGE.
  4. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an inescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

Sig Of The Week Discussion Thread - VI

Discussion in 'Creative Backyard' started by TheOne, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Cy

Cy X-No-Archive ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ 15 Year Member

an image instead of a theme choice, then we have all the entrants pics to use? Sure, why not? At least give it a shot. If it fails we go back the other way. Or will it be JUST like a theme choice. Winners pic is the theme for next week and has to be used?

Either way I'm happy to try it. WE gotta have SOMETHING to get some interest going again.

2. Cold As Ice

Cold As Ice Master of Solid Water Ten Years of Phun

Then i won't enter anymore. Keep SOTW like it is.

3. Cy

lol, I'd say that was a nay vote.

4. TheOne

TheOne The President ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ 15 Year Member

was thinking for it to be just like before (now), just with an image instead of a word.

but if I make a change we all have to agree on it.

Cy likes this.
  5. TheOne

though if someone have any other suggestion(s), without changing the competition too much, fell free to make them.

6. Cold As Ice

I would say "Keep it as it is". That way it's easier for new people (people who just started using Photoshop or Gimp) to enter. With a theme it's easier to pick pics then when you say what pic they need to use

7. Graphical User Interface

Graphical User Interface

I think this could work....but it would be boring if it was every week. So how about we just do this sometimes? Like with freestyles or vertical ones.

Which all though? Everyone who enters "regularly", all entrants from 2011, more than 10 submissions last year..?

Whatever bunch of Phunners gets to vote on it I think it would have to be a majority decision, if the vote has to be unanimous then we'd already have to torpedo the idea.

8. TheOne

maybe every 10 weeks or something like that.. week 10, 20, 30 and so on
    I meant a majority when I said all, though we have so few artists now so we can't afford to loose any.

9. Cy

I like the @ 10s idea. #140 #150 etc kinda makes it like a championship or playoff. not too often tho, maybe even on the 25s: 100,125,150,175

10. TheOne

If we did it every 10 weeks it would be ~4 times a year (we don't use all 52 weeks that there is in a year) .. that would mean once every season (spring, summer, autumn, winter) and then that would sum up to maybe a fixed date, like first week in March...

anyway, would this change bring more artists to sotw, or for that matter more voters?

11. Cy

Who can say if it would bring in more users? I would be leery to say it would. I'm noticing the same trends on most of the boards I visit. There's a real decline in artistic content. Fewer collages, fewer wallpapers etc. Seems like the collage makers are getting rather moribund, set on just the seamless, no embellishments collage, (except Prevail-still doing frame collages after all these years :cheers:) When is the last time you saw somebody working on a new texture or style or process? Topaz was a pleasant blip on the creative process scene. But that's a tool, not really a new creative idea. Net users in general seem to be either degrading creatively into viewers, or have simply run low on creativity, rather like television of today. I have no idea how to promote the idea of doing something for the pleasure and pride successfully when even at the beginning, before it is even considered, everything is shouted down with disinterest and apathy. So we get the same old stuff, done in the same old way, while people drift away through malaise and boredom.

12. TheOne

suppose you are right there Cy, whatever we make it's probably been done before in some sort of way.

13. TheOne

Congratulations Cy, well done. but you forgot to send a theme in so GUI, who came second, picked "Kelly Brook, vertical"

I'll update the rest of this thread tomorrow.

Cy likes this.
  14. helium

helium .

congrats Cy !

Cy likes this.
  15. Cy

I won?

Really? That's never happened before, lol.

Well, I guess I was bound to win eventually :cheers: Thanks all

16. Cold As Ice

Congrats Cy!

Cy likes this.
  17. AFX

AFX The funky drummer.

Nice one Cy, congrats.

Cy likes this.
  18. Graphical User Interface

Graphical User Interface

Ooo so close, neck and neck till the end! Congrats Cy!

We had a great bunch of entries, expected a lot more votes. the winning entry for the Kaley Cuoco SOTW had 31 votes, which is more than the total this week. That same one had 61 votes in all, which is the highest I can remember and that was only 10 weeks back so I don't think it's just that interest in this part of the site is down, is it just the theme that makes all the difference maybe?

Cy likes this.
  19. Cy

very possibly. Votes have been slowing down for the last year or so though. When I was lurking back around 07-8, there was tons more going on in the CB than now. It's one reason I moved over from CU to here.

Can I still choose a topic for this week? If so, I choose Rose Mcgowan @ the 1998 Mtv awards. If not, eh.

20. TheOne

I just hope it's not because I run the show now.

and no Cy, it's too late. I have gotten sigs already.

maybe next time you or I win, don't think we had a Rose Mcgowan sig before

Cy likes this.