1. Guest - Remember that Thread Prefixes are a search tool! Click on a Thread Prefix and all threads with the same Prefix in that forum will be offered to you. To dismiss click on X >>>
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Our gif only content threads have a rule where all thumbs must be posted as a static thumbnail that does not play. Currently imagebam made a change where they no longer produce static thumbs. Therefore, please do not use imagebam, or any host, that provides live playing gifs in those specific threads. If you see your gif playing once you post, try to use a smaller thumbnail and if that does not work use a different approved host.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an inescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

INFO FORUM ISSUES (Cont'd)

Discussion in 'About phun.org' started by J3scribe, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Xray

Xray Staff Member ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member

2. Fuzzopi

Fuzzopi 49ers Faithful ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

1 person likes this.
  3. robo99

robo99 passing thru ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

3 people like this.
  4. Ramsfan

Ramsfan Hurdy Gurdy Man ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ 15 Year Member

2 people like this.
  5. Ramsfan

Ramsfan Hurdy Gurdy Man ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ 15 Year Member

1 person likes this.
  6. Flippy

Flippy Las cucarachas entran, pero no pueden salir. ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member Power Poster Phun Award Holder

thanks for the info guys. It is a problem on their end so it really isnt much we can do here. If the problem persists we will have to consider our hoster options off course. But i cant see a big Place like imagevenue leaving the problem unattended for long.

7. haydaddict

haydaddict Smiley King ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 15 Year Member

I was trying to get on phun and chrome blocked my access for malware warning.

8. X-Name

X-Name BANNED

Same.
    [​IMG]

9. Cold As Ice

Cold As Ice Master of Solid Water Ten Years of Phun

That's not Phun but something on imagevenue

10. fontegris

fontegris

I got the malware warning too. Problem is, the info offered by chrome isn't clear. Do imagevenue serve actual malware? Thanks...

11. Cold As Ice

I just send a mail to imagevenue, in that i told them about the warnings. Will see what they answer

7 people like this.
  12. Cold As Ice

13. Green Bastard

Green Bastard feels good man

It's very likely from an ad. But, it looks like it's fixed.

Usually what happens is a site will use a third party to serve ads. That third party decides, either randomly or programmatically, what ads should be displayed. The problem is that a few bad apples get through. That can mean sites trying maliciously to serve malware, hacked sites accidentally serving malware, or sites that use techniques that look, heuristically, like malware.

Then, when one site gets flagged for whatever reason, it can trigger a chain reaction where other sites get flagged. An ad network accidentally serves some flagged sites, then a site that uses that ad network gets flagged even if that ad isn't on every/any page. Then another site (phun) includes content from that site and you get a warning.

Ads are terrible. But, they are also what funds everything on the web so :dunno:

4 people like this.
  14. Flippy

Flippy Las cucarachas entran, pero no pueden salir. ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member Power Poster Phun Award Holder

Bastard:

Just wondering is it the ad itself that is the malware or is it malwares that hides in the ad itself?

15. robo99

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 4089 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 834 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2014-03-04, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2014-03-03.

Google found malware installed without user consent on 20% of the site. Very bad juju. They should have a rating system for hosters so everybody knows what the average is, but 20% sounds really bad to me.

1 person likes this.
  16. Jack Tripper

Jack Tripper I don't know. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 15 Year Member

20% doesn't sound good to me either, and I've been going to Imagevenue everyday in that 90 day period, I guess we all have.

1 person likes this.
  17. Green Bastard

Green Bastard feels good man

It isn't just a banner ad (an image file) if that's what you mean. Typically ads are injected into the page with JS or an iframe dynamically so that the ad network can control what ad is displayed and how. That's where the problem comes in. Being able to execute arbitrary JS allows them to do almost anything, most notably to execute code that targets known browser or plugin vulnerabilities.

That doesn't mean that's what happened, though. It could've just been some JS that looked like attack code.

First, it certainly isn't very inviting. But, I'm not sure how meaningful we can make those numbers. There isn't enough info given. All 834 of those could have been within a short period of time before being removed from the ad network. It also doesn't tell us the severity of detection. It could be something mild like JS that tries to circumvent pop-blocking etc.

I'd keep an eye on it and factor it in if making decisions about image hosts, but I don't think there's any reason for immediate panic. :)

2 people like this.
  18. robo99

It seems like a hit and run situation. If for instance, I was online and got a malware before it was taken down, I still got the virus. Certainly I'm happy it was removed, but sad it happened to me. Self hosting would be good if it weren't so cost prohibited. Phun did have a self host for awhile this summer,

19. Jack Tripper

Do those ad codes still run if you are using Adblocker?

20. Jack Tripper

It's not just cost, having all those images on our serves would slow down performance as well.