1. Guest - Remember that Thread Prefixes are a search tool! Click on a Thread Prefix and all threads with the same Prefix in that forum will be offered to you. To dismiss click on X >>>
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Our gif only content threads have a rule where all thumbs must be posted as a static thumbnail that does not play. Currently imagebam made a change where they no longer produce static thumbs. Therefore, please do not use imagebam, or any host, that provides live playing gifs in those specific threads. If you see your gif playing once you post, try to use a smaller thumbnail and if that does not work use a different approved host.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. PHUN.ORG WILL BE TRANSFERRING TO A NEW HOSTER DURING THE NEXT 7 DAYS, AND SOME DISTURBANCE MAY BE EXPERIENCED. WE'LL KEEP YOU INFORMED AS DETAILS EMERGE.
  4. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an inescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

Sig image dimension limitations

Discussion in 'About phun.org' started by Masscott, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Masscott

Masscott

In the creative section, sigs have become very popular with heavy traffic. I hope that other designers would support the idea of asking the moderator/forum supervisor to extend the dimensions regulations for this forum. 450x150 is rather small, particularly in height and defiantly limits design possibilities.

Today's photos are more numerous and plentiful than ever before with higher quality. But it is hard to incorporate those type of renditions to a sig plus add the designer personal "flavor" with the current limitations regulated. More often than not, a designer will have to compromise of his/her additions just to make the design work.

I am requesting the sig's dimensions to be broaden or relax the current limitations a bit. I see no real advantage to widening the image/sig, however the height would be beneficial. Perhaps 550x150 or 600x150? This change would definably open up for extensive creativity and volume.

It should be noted that I respect and understand the purpose of 450x150 limitations and hold no expectations for change. This request is simply stated for purposes of enhancement of this forum.

Thanks.....

karabastrahabas likes this.
  2. gaphugs

gaphugs BANNED

I refer you to WtfAzzhole's comment on this..

"sig space varies depending upon how big your post is or what you have on there. if we didn't have sig rules people on here would host page size sigs. so just follow along."

3. Masscott

Masscott

I understand and want sig regulations, I am just requesting that the size limitations be slightly adjusted.

4. gaphugs

gaphugs BANNED

I dont know anything about sigs but yours looks big. How much bigger would you want it?

5. TheRiver

TheRiver temporarily a little out of order. ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member Original Phun Crew Movers & Shakers

hm.

there´s a reason for limiting the height - a sig shouldn´t distract from the post. in the end it´s a signature.

there´s also a reason for the width - a sig shouldn´t break the frames of phun.

there´s a reason for a general limit - suffering imaghehosts. hotlinking sucks for them. bigger sigs - more traffic, more dead imagehosts.

for me the width is argueble - phun´s frames are on 100% of screensize for a while now (been different a while ago) and wider monitors (19" and beyond) are more familiar.

:2cent: i like the special "450x150 art" - genre - and a sig shouldn´t turn out to be be a thread.

karabastrahabas, Inuk, JayHoo and 2 others like this.
  6. Masscott

Masscott

River:
    I'm in full agreement with you on the purposes of the limitations. It makes sense to not allow large over-sized sigs. However, I believe that the imagehosts are suffering due to the large volume of pic's sets rather than sigs and other small imaging. And personally, I think hotlinking should be disallowed anyway from this forum anyway.

But from a creative standpoint, the 450x150 variety limits one's ability to add real character to a sig. Or art as you stated. A change in height only, would allow better opportunities for improvements/enhancements/art character. I agree that the width should be left alone. The sig should not extend or even equal the size of the post.

Adding a simple adjustment and extending the sig to 550x150 or 600x150 gives everyone, even novice designers, the ability to add their own personal flavor to the sig. More so than what is displayed now.

7. TheRiver

TheRiver temporarily a little out of order. ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member Original Phun Crew Movers & Shakers

i do see a slight hint of a match here...

as for now there´s no reason not to post a few samples in one or more of the existing "edits/collages" threads in the creative backyard. visual images might help to consider your suggestion

karabastrahabas and Masscott like this.
  8. Masscott

Masscott

Great idea, I will do just that. Thanks.

9. Noodle Panda

Noodle Panda ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 15 Year Member

I've been making my own sigs for a long time and i feel that the 450x150 size offers plenty to work with. If the sig area was increased then evetually you might say 600x150 isnt enough to work with, can we have 700x250 and so on.

Sigs used in the post should be kept at the size they have always been, as riv says, its just a motif a signature in your post. It's not a signature board so it should really be the least important thing in the post.

But, saying all that, why should that stop you posting any style, shape, size of sig in the cool sigs thread? We've had vertical sigs in there that look great. You can't use them but that doesnt stop you fully exploring the medium of sig art.

10. Masscott

Masscott

I guess this is just a difference in opinion. I agree Jammsbro, I can make the 450x150 work-but with current programs and creative alternatives, I can make-and so could you-any 450X150 sig look much better in a 550x150 format with additional creative add-ons/graphics. 450x150 is too small in some cases and limits potential.

I believe anything above 600x150 is overboard and should never be considered.

I personally would not like to create a sig in different sizes for a newbie/leech that would take the sig to another forum. This is not a forum (so far as I can tell) for lechers to come in a take what images they can for usage around the net. There are plenty of sites around the net for this. Of course, that is happening with picture uploads and sets-so forth on PHUN. But we personalize the sigs/avatars/etc. only for PHUN members.

11. S-type

S-type Know when to laugh. Staff Member ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member

Postage stamp designers would doubtless weep tears of joy at the prospect of using a canvas on the scale of our 450x150 sigs!

12. Masscott

Masscott

I need to make a correction to my request as I made a typo in my post earlier. The height should be changed-not the width. Therefore 450x200 or 450x250 is the requested to change. NOT the width. My apologies for the error.